I feel honoured that so many people have asked me about the recipe for my Black Forest Cake!
Here it is:
– First bake a chocolate biscuit: Beat 6 egg whites. Then beat 6 egg yolks with 180 g sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until it turns white and creamy.
Carefully with a spoon, add stiff egg whites, add 80g flour and 60g corn starch, then 60g cocoa. Mix carefully and add 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes if you use a large baking sheet (for 1 layer only).
– Spirited cherry pie filling:
- Open a 1 liter jar of sour cherries (pie cherries), drain the cherries. Or defrost 1 kg pie cherries and drain them. Mix the juice (approx.. 250 ml) with 30 g cornstarch and bring it to a boil. If there is not enough juice, I add cranberry juice. Add 2 oz Kirsch and 1 Tbls sugar. Mix some cherries in and let it cool. Keep enough cherries for decoration.
- If you are in a hurry, you can buy a can of sour cherry pie filling. That is too sweet though and I would add it to a blend or Cranberry Juice with corn starch that I first brought to a boil.
– Beat 1 liter whipping cream with 3 tablespoon sugar, 2 oz Kirsch (Cherry Spirit), and 1 bag Dr Oetker “Whipit” if possible.
– For decoration, I like to use pie cherries that I harvested in July and stored them fresh in a mason jar covered with our cherry liqueur.
At least 4 hours before serving, you take the cold biscuit out and drizzle it with 2 oz Kirsch. Then spread the spirited cherry pie filling on it. Let it cool for an hour in the fridge (or cold place, safe from “predators”. Then spread half of the spirited whipped cream. The other half is for decorating the cake. If you have chocolate flakes, that can be used as well for decorating.
Have fun decorating!